Mt. Hood, OR
June 17, 2023
7:30 am - 2:00 pm
Scouting for Deer and Elk (Field Day)
This is a FREE instructional field day for anyone who wants to learn how to scout for big game on public land in Oregon in preparation for the upcoming hunting season.
Saturday June 17th, 2023 from 7:30am — approximately 1:00pm
Meeting location: Skyline Road Sno Park
Field day location: Near Timothy Lake in the Mt. Hood National Forest
You will learn:
- How to read maps for hunting and understanding mountain road systems
- Bushwhacking and navigating the woods with GPS
- Looking for big game sign
- Spotting simulated blacktail deer
- Shoot, don’t shoot drills
- Identifying good vs. bad hunting habitat
- How to use trail cameras.
We’ll meet at Skyline Sno Park and then drive to the woods to scout for about 3-4 hours. Afterwards, a voluntary homework assignment will expand the hunting area via online scouting.
What to bring:
- Sturdy hiking shoes
- Long pants
- Personal pack with food, water, and safety gear
- Water and lunch
- Notepad with pen/pencil
- Long sleeve shirt
- Bug Spray
- Binoculars on a chest strap (recommended)
- OnX with a map downloaded on your phone or other GPS (recommended)
What we provide:
- Trail cameras
- Flagging tape
Most any car with a hatchback or bigger will be fine. Small cars with trunks may struggle on gravel, and there is a very short section where they might bottom out on the potholes. My Toyota Rav4 handles the roads just fine.
You will need the physical stamina to hike off trail, crossing logs, ducking brush, and handle a 200 foot elevation gain.
Field day is a fluid event influenced by snow pack, weather, and sudden change. Additional details and contact info will be shared as the event draws closer.
If you have any questions or issues registering, contact Brandon Dyches email@example.com 803-543-2296