The purpose of the Turn In Poachers (TIP) reward program administered by OHA in cooperation with Oregon State Police and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is to significantly reduce the illegal taking of wildlife, fish, upland birds, waterfowl, and the destruction of habitat.
Qualification for the reward depends upon the issuing of a citation by the OSP Wildlife Division for illegal taking of wildlife, fish, upland birds, waterfowl, and destruction of habitat. If the investigation by OSP finds insufficient evidence to issue a citation, no reward will be made.
In 2017 OHA increased the rewards offered in TIP cases and paid a record $24,200 to informants in fish and wildlife violation cases.
If a citation is issued the standard amount of the reward may be as follows:
- Bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose – $1,000
- Elk, deer, antelope – $500
- Bear, cougar, wolf – $300
- Habitat destruction – $300
- Illegally obtaining Oregon hunting or angling license or tags – $200
- Game fish, shell fish – $100
- Upland birds, waterfowl – $100
- Furbearers – $100
OHA and its chapters sometimes offer higher rewards for information in particularly heinous cases.
The payment to the approved reward recipient will be sent to the OSP Wildlife Division headquarters in Salem where the OSP TIP Coordinator will disperse the check to the appropriate OSP Trooper to be presented to the recipient.
The TIP program also offers the option of preference point rewards instead of cash rewards for information leading to an arrest or issuance of a citation for the unlawful take/possession or waste of big game mammals.
Preference Point Rewards:
* 5 points for reporting a case involving bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose or wolf
* 4 points for reporting a case involving elk, deer, antelope, bear or cougar
When making a report, provide as much of the following information as possible:
- Nature of violation or activity observed or advised about
- Location of activity (Road number, Milepost, GPS, Range, etc.)
- Date and time of violation/activity
- Description of any vehicle involved
- Name and/or description of violator
How to Report a Wildlife and/or Habitat Law Violation or Suspicious Activity:
TIP Hotline: 1-800-452-7888 or *OSP(677) (Available 24/7)
TIP E-Mail: TIP@state.or.us (Monitored M-F 8 a.m. – 5 p,m.)
Please use the TIP Hotline for weekend and evening reporting